Today we learned about momentum, it is funny that I couldn't even define it yet I have used this word for most of my life. The definition is a property of a moving body, and it is equal to the product of the body's mass and velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity and it's variable is "p". We also learned about a law called the "Law of Conservation of Momentum", this means that the momentum that goes in will be the same amount that comes out.
We did an activity that involved throwing water balloons and we found out that the best way to make them not break is to extend the contact time. By making the contact time longer it decreases the force on the balloon making it harder to break.
When I thought of this in real life the first thing that came to my head was my dad's keys. We don't just hand stuff to each other in my family, we throw things. My dad always throws me his keys and I used to just catch it and it would dig into my hang and hurt. Now I know to give with the keys and it doesn't hurt. This is because I am able to extend the contact time therefore making the force less and the amount the key digs into my skin is less.

I really like how you described what we learned super clearly, it really helped me to better understand the lesson. Also I really like you picture, that's so cool how you don't just hand things in your family, great example!
ReplyDelete